The Little Biodiversity Finance Book - 3rd edition

Finance for biodiversity could be scaled up from around USD 52 billion in 2010 to as high as USD 160 billion by 2020, if the public and private sectors work together to implement a range of financing approaches, according to the new Little Biodiversity Finance Book, published today by the Global Canopy Programme (GCP).

Oxford, 05/06/2012 - This third edition of the book explores the mechanisms for scaling up biodiversity finance, how delivery could be improved, and how institutions could support the increase in scale - key questions ahead of this month’s United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development ("Rio+20”) and the 11th Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) in October. Using the latest available information, the authors show that finance for biodiversity totaled USD 51.8 billion in 2010 - the year in which the world failed to achieve the global biodiversity target to "achieve a significant reduction of the current rate of biodiversity loss” set by the CBD. To reach the new, more ambitious targets set for 2020 – known as the Aichi Targets - more finance must be generated, but the proportions allocated to different parts of the world must also change.

The book also reveals that current biodiversity finance is overwhelmingly paid for by the beneficiaries of ecosystem services, who generated 93% of finance in 2010, while the "polluters” (those who directly reduce the provision of biodiversity and ecosystem services) only paid 7%. The authors say that by scaling up finance across all mechanisms to their full potential, more of the cost could be shifted to the polluters. This is because as finance is scaled up, proportionally more finance is generated from market-based mechanisms, which tend to favour the polluter paying. Currently only 20% of biodiversity finance is generated from market-based mechanisms, such as greening commodities and biodiversity fees, with the remaining 80% generated from non-market based approaches, such as official development assistance and domestic budget allocation. Whilst the authors do not favour one approach over another, they say that if the USD 159 billion figure is to be reached, a greater balance will be needed between market and non-market based financing mechanisms.

You can find the original article on the Ecosystem Marketplace here.

More about the publication you can find on the Global Canopy Website.
You can find the report here.
Twitter Xing Facebook LInkedIN

A Simple Explanation of Business & Biodiversity!

Featured video


Media Partners